CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Professor Anil Dutt Vyas is the senior most faculty in the department of Civil Engineering with more than 28 years of teaching, research and consultancy experience in Asia, Africa and Europe. He has worked for more than 15 years at lead government of India institution, MNIT, Jaipur and presently also holding the Deputy Director Students Welfare, at Manipal University Jaipur. He is also convener of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation programs at MUJ.
About Prof Vyas
Prof Vyas has more than 2.5 decades experience of teaching, research & consultancy projects in Asia, Africa & Europe for major donors including USAID,OFDA, UNICEF, ADB,DFID, BMGF & also teaching experience with lead GOI institute MNIT, Jaipur . With major focus on Water & Sanitation, Faecal Sludge Management, Urban water, he is also part of the expert advisory groups of various Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation projects developing ISO documents on Community based sanitation systems. He has also worked as WASH specialist for UNICEF on the biggest emergency programs on the globe in Sudan coordinating multi million dollar programs for almost 5 years. In his present role back to academics he has given new dimensions to capacity building of faculty members & also through coordinating various external funded projects & consultancies at MUJ, India. Presently also holding important portfolio of Deputy Director Students Welfare at MUJ catering the needs of almost 10,000 students after completing a successful extended tenure of Head Civil Engg.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Environmental Engineering 1
|Environmental Engineering 2
|Air Pollution Monitoring and Control
|Sold and Hazardous Waste Management
||Year of passing
||Urban Water Specialisation
|| Malviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur
|| JNV University, Jodhpur
|| Amravati University, MS
|Institution / Organisation
|Malviya National Institute of Technology, MNIT, Jaipur
||Assistant Professor/ Selection Grade
|| Teaching & Research
|International Centre for Science & Technology, ICS-UNIDO, Trieste, Italy
||Fellow- Environmental Degradable Plastics
|| Research & proposals for developing countries
|| 2002-2003, 1 year
||Water & Sanitation Specialist
|| Emergency Field Engineering
|| 2007- 2011, >5 yrs
|DFID, UNICEF, USAID, ADB, WRDF, UNOPS, CARE, RedR projects in different Indian states & abroad at Ethiopia,Vietnam, Sudan & Maldives.
||Consultant- Short & Long terms
|| Urban Water Management, Emergency Water & Sanitation, Trainings etc.
|| 2003-2015 continued
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Water & Sanitation, Faecal Sludge Management, Municipal Solid Waste Management, Air Pollution.
Emergency Water & Sanitation, Urban Water and Sanitation, FSM/Non Sewered Sanitation
FSM/Non Sewered Sanitation, Environmental Sustainability
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Member - International Water Association (IWA)
- Member - Indian Society for Technical Education. (LM)
- Member - Indian Water Works Association (LM)
- Member - Administrative Staff College of India (LM)
- Member - Registered Engineers in Disaster (RedR, India)
- Member - Institute of Development Studies (IDS, UK)
- Awarded - National Award for Best Professor in Civil Engg., India (27 th Business School Affaire, Mumbai, Nov 2019)
- Program Coordinator & key facilitator for IHE/Delft Netherlands and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for almost half a million dollar program (2018-2023) at MUJ focusing on Non Sewered Sanitation/Faecal Sludge Management education /awareness across lead academic institution across India including IITs/NITs/.
- Working as a Sr Consultant for Asian Development Bank (ADB) as a Technical Advisor for FSSM for “The West Bengal Drinking Water Sector Improvement Project.
Invited as an Expert speaker /Resource person by:
- Asian Development Bank, Manila, Philippines for the AWF 2018, Asia Water Forum 2-4 th October, 2018. “Water Scarcity & the role of Sustainability & Transformation Plans (STPs) in Minimizing Ground Water Contamination”.
- IIT Madras & Asian Development Bank Institute, Japan during “Leadership capacity building program for Public Private Partnership in “Faecal Sludge Management”, 22-24 th September,2018 at IIT Madras, India.
- Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Singapore & ADBI, Japan as a key Resource Person in the Leadership Program on “Sustainable Sanitation Strategies for Policy Makers”, at LKYSPP Singapore from 11-13 July 2018.
Part of Expert advisory group by:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for developing ISO standards for Community Scale Resource Oriented Sanitation Treatment Systems.
- Part of the EAG (Expert advisory group) of Tuv-Sud a German based ISO certification & auditing agency on a BMGF project.
- Invited by UNESCO-IHE, Delft, Netherlands to be a part of Sanitation expert group to design & develop MSc in Non Sewered Sanitation/FSM for an International Master’s program.
- Invited by IDS “Institute of Development Studies” a key global think tank based in Sussex UK for a presentation on their conference theme “Rethinking Urbanization & Equity in Asia”, 9 & 10 th June, 2014.(https://www.ids.ac.uk/files/dmfile/IDS-Unicef_programmefinal8June.pdf).
- Invited by ICS-UNIDO, Italy & M.T.E.C, Thailand for two presentations in International Work Shop on “Water & Soil Remediation” held at Bangkok, Thailand on 16-17 th Nov. 2005.
Key Consultancies/ Research Projects ( Since April 2014):
- Co Coordinator for the ADBI, Japan sponsored project for “Socio-economic Spill-Overs Resulted from the Functioning of Sewage Treatment Plants in Jaipur, India” - A Case study of Delawas STP.
- Assisting Athena Consulting services (India) as a Sanitation Specialist on a BMGF (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) where focus is on FSM (Faecal Sludge Management) in towns & cities of India. (November 2016 onwards)
- Worked as a WASH specialist on a key Monitoring & Evaluation, Water & Sanitation project for OFDA/USAID in Sudan for MSI (Management Systems International, USA).
- Assisted WSUP (Water & Sanitation for Urban Poor) a UK based agency on SBM (Swach Bharat Mission)/Clean India Mission to support GVMC (Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation)
- Worked on KWEF, Japan (Kurita Water & Environment Foundation) as Co-Principal Investigator for a project on Textile industries & Ground Water Contamination around Jaipur City, India. (Oct-15- Sept-16).
- Assisted IPPMS (Investment Programs Performance Monitoring Systems) an ADB funded urban project in coordination with RUIDP for 15 towns of Rajasthan
- Worked on a short term consultancy with CRISIL India a key infrastructure advisory agency for their WRDF project “Feasibility Study for an urban water supply and sanitation program in small and medium Towns in Ethiopia”.
- Co coordinator for two days MGNCRE,GOI & MUJ “ Industry Academia” conclave on Waste Management at MUJ campus on 19-20 th Feb,2020. Presented Welcome address on key challenges & opportunities in Non Sewered Sanitation .